Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Song

His Eye Is on the Sparrow
Civilla D. Martin

Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely And long for heaven and home
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, Whenever clouds arise,
When song gives place to sighing, When hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him; From care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know he watches me.


Civillia D. Martin was born in Nova Scotia on August 21, 1869. She grew up and married a traveling evangelist and quit her jobs as a school and music teacher to follow him. She met a couple in New York who lived with very hard circumstances but always had such a bright and hopefully outlook on life. When asked about this the wife replied, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." Those simple, faith-filled words inspired this great hymn.
*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

12 comments:

Natasha said...

Wow, I never knew the story before. Sometimes I forget how many great stories are behind many powerful hymns like the story behind "It is well with my soul". His children drowned at sea but he still had the heart to praise God through it. Amazing.

mrs boo radley said...

Comforting thought--about His eye being on the sparrow. I love that.

Felicia said...

Here's an amazing coincidence...this song was playing in my CD player while I was reading your post! It's an a capella version by Eclipse. You can go here: http://www.eclipsesingers.com/gratefulpraise.html
to listen to a clip.

Paige said...

Love this song! What a great feeling to know that if the Lord watches a sparrow how much he watches us and provides for us!

TCKK said...

I absolutely love this song!!!

Heather said...

Hey Shannon, quick question. That white urn that you planted the fern in, do you know how tall it is? I am working on a project and following some of your decorating leads, but was wondering how tall your urn is. Thanks!!!

jenjen said...

What beautiful lyrics! So uplifting and comforting.

XOXO
Jen

J.J. said...

This was played at my Grandaddy's funeral and it was his favorite. Thanks :)

audrey enloe said...

soo sooo comforting this post! I love this song! One of my definite favorites!!

HeathahLee said...

I can remember my mom singing this song when I was little. She is the one who taught me how to sing, and I don't get to hear her much anymore because of her cancer. I hope you NEVER stop posting these, Shannon, because they bring back the sweetest memories! I'm tearing up as I'm writing this! But they are happy tears, so it's okay. : )

Sandy said...

LOVE that song, it is truly one of my favorites! It has given me such inspiration and comfort during difficult times!

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.