Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Song

Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
Robert Robinson

Come, Thou fount of every blessing, Tune my heart to sing Thy grace.
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, Call or songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it, Mount of God's unchanging love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer; Hither by Thy help I come.
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure, Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger Wand'ring from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger, Interposed His precious blood.

Oh, to grace how great a debtor Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy grace, Lord, like a fetter, Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love.
Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts above.

After his father died when he was young, Robert Robinson had a rough life. He got into drinking and learned about gang-life. When he was 17 he and his friends went to see a fortune teller. Something about it did not feel right to Robert so he suggested they go listen to George Whitefield. That night he thought Whitefield was preaching directly to him but he did not commit his life to Christ until three years later on December 10,1755. He went into the ministry where he wrote "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" for his church. He was in the ministry until his death in 1790.

13 comments:

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Wonderful Post.

Married and Lovin' it! said...

Good morning!
I'm just googling newlywed blogs and inviting you to check out the "She Just Got Married" blog and ask you to consider adding the RSS feed to your Blog Roll!
We're just trying to share some good news about newlywed life! :-)
Hope to see you there!!
http://www.shejustgotmarried.com/modules/blog/

Tricia Anne said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful song. I am home from church this morning (sick) and what a blessing to sing these words to the Lord, right here from my desk. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Southern Fried Gal said...

Your Sunday posts are so neat. I love that you give the back stories on each song/writer.

J.J. said...

What a fabulous Sunday treat :) Thanks!

Vashti said...

Love it...as usual! Ive had a sucky 2 days and this really spoke to me. Thankyou.
xx

Kim said...

It is amazing how God can use anything to bring us to Him! Thanks for sharing!

mrs boo radley said...

I worked at a Christian bookstore all through college and we had this fabulous CD and on it was this song--it was the most beautiful version I'd ever heard of it, but haven't been able to find the CD ever again. Don't recall who sang it, but it was heavenly.

Paige said...

Love this song! Thanks for sharing it with us today.

hi-d said...

Awesome! Love the story. This just proves to show that Jesus can change anyone's life! AMEN, sister!

billybojenny said...

My favourite song...thanks. I've been reading your blog forever, but never commented.. thought it was time I did. :)

Megan said...

First time to read your blog, find it through my friend Hillary. Just had to say that I love this hymn. I'm pregnant with twins, so I had to sing along (for them) to the lyrics. And I love your craftiness~it's inspiring. Where might I find a silver tray to turn into a chalkboard?

Email me if you want access to my blog...purrfectmeg@aol.om

Keetha said...

Oh I'm SO glad you posted the ORIGINAL version of these words. Lately I've seen it in newer hymn books and they CHANGED the Ebenezer line. I say leave the line in and TEACH people what it means.