Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday Song

Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow
Thomas Ken

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him, all creatures here below.
Praise Him above, ye heav'nly host.
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Amen.

Thomas Ken was born in 1637 on the outskirts of England. He has been called "England's first hymnist." After he was ordained he became the chaplain at Winchester. He wrote three hymns in 1674. This was remarkable because hymns were unheard of in England. One hymn was to be sung at sunrise, another at bedtime and the third at midnight if you couldn't sleep. All three ended with the same stanza. The stanza that we sing today. Thomas Ken died on March 11, 1711 and he was buried at sunrise with this hymn sung at his funeral.
*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

13 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

What a wonderful song!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I remember singing this each Sunday in my tiny church growing up! Sadly, many churches don't sing this anymore! Love to read the "Sunday Song"!!

Vanessa said...

I love this song! It's always been one of my favorites.

Tami said...

Love the history you shared with the song!

Thank-you for all the sweet comments you have left about my new selling blog!!

Hugs~T

mrs boo radley said...

My family and I sang this in harmony when I was home with them a few weekends ago. Love this song.

TCKK said...

I love reading the history on these songs. Thanks for sharing them.

The Thrifty Trendsetter said...

I love the way you incorporate your faith into your posts! I just started trying to do the same thing...after all, our faith is so important in our lives! I am now having a Sunday feature called "Heart of a Servant Sundays!" I absolutely love your blog!

devri said...

I heart this song, thanks for sharing it.

Jennifer said...

Happy Sunday to you!!

Alex and Jill said...

LOVE this song!! Especially acapella.

Vanessa said...

Would you mind if I started making a Sunday Song post of my own and linked back to your site? I just love them so much. You should maybe think about hosting a "Linky Party" every Sunday and have all your readers post their own Sunday Song! Could be fun. Thanks for the posts!

Jo - To a Pretty Life said...

This hymn is called "Doxology" in my old hymnbook. I think it is beautiful. It always reminds me of my favourite verse: "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord" Ps.150:6

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.