Friday, April 24, 2009

Frugal Fridays

Last week I was going a different way to Katie's house and found a huge flea market. You never know what these are going to be like until you go inside but I am so glad I did. It was great! Here are some of my flea market finds.

These mini vases were .75 cents each. I doubt they are antique but they are heavy and have pretty "wavy" glass.

My first antique wooden hanger! I was so excited about this find. Katie at Harrington House was the first to introduce me to these. She collects them and keeps them in her guest closet for her guests to use. I loved that idea and have been on the look out ever since. This one was $2.50. I have no idea how much these are but I thought that was a pretty good deal. Go here to see some of her collection.

My last find was this pretty brown and white ironstone bowl. I love finding great pieces in brown and white, red and white or green and white. This bowl was only $1.50. I think the guy who was ringing me up wanted me to tell him that he could have it. He kept going on and on about what a great piece it is and how he couldn't believe it was only $1.50. :)

I didn't have the heart to tell him that it will just be holding some junk in my office.

This last piece is something that my Grammy gave me. It has been hanging in her living room and she decided to give it to me. I'm not sure what it is but it is so heavy! I love the shape and color of the wood.

I have hung it in our closet to hold some jewelry and extra wallets. It is a pretty "catch-all" and keeps our bathroom counter tops clean.

Head over to Wendy at The Shabby Nest for more Frugal Friday Fun!

33 comments:

Vashti said...

Love the vases, so many things you could use them for.
Have a great weekend.
x

Chris said...

I love them all--especially the hanger! Love the idea of letting guests use them. Great finds!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Love the hanger, and I love Katie over at Harrington House and thought of her before you even mentioned it!!

Brittany said...

Love all of your finds! So cool. Post pics of Katie's new house too! I would love to see it!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

This is the best kind of detour. You know I love your finds. :)

Vanilla Lavender said...

The hanger is co cute!! I have one similar to that. It was gift from Mary from Across the Pond. Have a great day!!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Love your fun finds! Thanks for sharing!!!

HeathahLee said...

Those vases will be so pretty with some spring flowers in them!

And having something from your grandmother makes the piece that much more special. I know I have several things that my grandparents gave me and I treasure them all.

Speaking of that, how old is your china cabinet? I noticed the knob pull thingies (???) and thought they looked like my china cabinet's (which was also given to me by my grandfather!). Just wondering. I love all the stuff you have in yours!

Heather said...

Great finds!! Love that bowl! And love the idea of the hangers!

Susan said...

What pretty things:) Lucky you! Have a great weekend:)

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great finds. I have 3 or 4 of the wooden hangers around here - thanks for remnding me.
Glenda

queenbee said...

Great finds and I really loveee the hangers. I cant wait to go yard saleing this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

mrs boo radley said...

The hanger...what a sweet hanger! I love Frugal Fridays!

Sue said...

I love all your finds....especially that bowl! I never thought about collecting antique hangers...great idea!

Southern Fried Gal said...

Those vases are so sweet. I can't wait to see what you do with them! And I love the idea of the hangers for the guest room.

bec4 said...

great finds. I especially love the brown ironstone bowl!

MidniteScrapper said...

Just stumbled in here! I would like to do a Bless Our Nest theme for our ladies banquet and googled it and here I am. Who knew that your blog would be exactly what I needed to find today. I've skimmed through a few of your posts and am smiling as I type this. I will definitely be checking in more often. Bless you. =]

Denise K. said...

Oh what great finds! You made out just fine! Yeah! WOW, that piece from your grandma is just amazing! It is so beautiful and really caught my eye...it's so unique it must be an antique! Love to see how you decorate! :-)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Great finds!! Stellar job on the brown/white ironstone! The little vases are cute--perfect for little bouquets of dandelions! (I tend to get a lot of those at this time of the year.)

~ Sarah

The Pink Potpourri said...

wow, those are such great finds!

Becky said...

Wow you are a great bargain hunter and I love all the pieces you found...I'm going to fly you here to decorate my house! ha..ha..

the undomesticated wife said...

Great finds, and super good prices too!

Karyn said...

Great finds. I especially love your Grammy's shelves.

J.J. said...

I love the ironstone bowl. Even if it is just holding junk :)

Angie said...

I love that brown and white transferware! I only have one piece, but would love to find more. Have a great weekend!

The Graves' House said...

great finds. i have a few hangers like that my grandmother passed down to me. they are so great to decorate with.

Katie said...

Great stuff!!! Whoa...you just about found one of everything I collect...haha! I love the hanger...of course! ;o) And that wall shelf is BEAUTIFUL!!! And I am such a huge fan of B&W transferware. I can't believe the prices you paid! Did you run out of there clinging to them like someone was going to stop you??? ;o)

Paige said...

Love the mini vases, and the bowl!

Have a great weekend!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

LOVE that bowl. I have a whole collection of brown and white ironstone dishes. I think they are gorgeous!

Spencer Family 6 said...

Oh what lucky finds!!!!!

Amber said...

Ok, I'm SO jealous over your bowl! I've been looking for one, brown and white just like yours, for months to put on my nightstand to put my jewelry into at night. No luck yet. I love it! Great find!

Lana said...

I love the vases! I'm sure they will be very useful!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Flea markets are so great. You are right, you never know what you are going to find, but you found some great things! The hanger is a great idea, too. I will have to remember that one!
Carrie