Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday Song

O for a Thousand Tongues To Sing
Charles Wesley

O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer's praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!

Jesus! The name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
'Tis music in the sinner's ears;
'Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the pow'r of canceled sin;
He sets the prisoner free.
His blood can make the foulest clean;
His blood availed for me.

Hear Him, ye deaf, His praise, ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come,
And leap ye lame for joy.

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad,
The honors of Thy name.


After Charles Wesley's conversion his life changed. He no longer had a temper problem or a drinking problem. He ministered to men in prison and often locked himself in their cell for the night before their execution so he could comfort them and witness to them. On the first anniversary of his conversion he wrote an eighteen stanza hymn known today as "O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing". Today, churches usually sing verses seven, eight, nine and ten. In 1780 when John Wesley complied his Collection of Hymns he chose this hymn to be the first one in the book.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

10 comments:

Vashti said...

LOVE IT! Have a great Sunday.
xx

Sherri's Southern Style said...

Thanks Shannon! You always pick my favorites. Knowing the history behind these hymns gives me new reasons to love them!

{ Kiddos and K9s } said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the hymns... can't get enough of that. Thank you... ~ kim

Cherit said...

I love your blog. Thank you for sharing some of the wonderful old hymns that still minister today. I just recently found your blog.

Cheri
Phoenix, AZ

Alex and Jill said...

Oh....I love this song. My mom, sister, and I used to sing this song together.

Have a great day, girl!

Diane said...

I like that hymn. In the United Methodist hymnal, it is ALWAYS the first hymn.

:)

Jennifer said...

My favorite line....He breaks the power of cancelled sin!!

Your hymn choices are always among my favorites...I look forward to them each Sunday. THANKS

Our Complete Family said...

Hey Shannon! I've been behind and am just popping by to catch up with you hun. I am in love with your new bloggy look. Adorable and just so perfect for you!
The pic below turned out great and congrats to your sis in law on a girl on the way. Neat news!
Happy Sunday to you~ Les

hi-d said...

So cool! We sang that song in church this past Sunday, and we don't sing hymns that often. You have a cool site!

disa said...

成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片