Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday Song

Amazing Grace
John Newton

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound!
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believed.

Thro' many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come.
'Tis grace that brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shinning as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise;
Than when we first begun.

John Newton's mother was a devoted Christian who prayed earnestly for her son. She died when Newton was seven and his life fell deeper and deeper into sin. He alternated between boarding school and the high seas. He eventually joined the British Navy which he deserted and was beaten for it. On March 9, 1748 he was on a ship when a horrible storm started. The next day he cried out to the Lord to deliver him. He became one of Britain's most powerful evangelists and wrote hundreds of hymns. Newton added this verse at the end of "Amazing Grace" that has almost been forgotten:

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
the sun forbear to shine;
But God, Who called me here below,
shall be forever mine.

*Hymn history taken from "Then Sings My Soul" by Robert J. Morgan.

19 comments:

Shabbywears said...

I love this song...the words are so moving. Have a wonderful Sunday!!!
I love Sundays..church,worship, family,and a long afternoon nap! Love Julie

Alex and Jill said...

I think this is one of everyone's favorite songs. Love it.

Have a great Sunday!

((HUGS))

Heather said...

They just don't come any better than Amazing Grace!!

JanMarie said...

I've always loved this story and the hymn! ( I just realized that Chris Tomlin is singing "Amazing Love" from my playlist and it incorporates Amazing Grace into it. That's cool:)
I believe there is so much power in a parents prayers for their children. I love how John Newtons mom prayed for him.
Thanks for sharing.

JanMarie said...

My apologies......the song is "Amazing Grace" by Chris Tomlin. It's a little different version than the original but very beautiful!

Cali Girl said...

one of my favorites.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Such a beautiful song! One of my favorites!

Cari said...

One of the most powerful songs ever written in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I can't wait for spring either :)

FatihaUSA said...

When I arrived from France and heard that song for the 1st time it gave me goose bump even touhgt I didn't understand the words in the beginning. But I love that song.

Katy said...

Awesome, thank you for sharing this story. It is a neat neat song.

Kaitlyn said...

Love these Sunday songs!

The Berry's Patch said...

Happy Sunday Shannon. What a great story.

Sarah said...

I love your Sunday postings. Have you seen this movie? It is a beautiful inspiring movie about the writing of the song! Perseverance shall not be a lost art! :)

Sofia Striffler said...

This was my aunt's favorite song. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for designing my dear friend Denise Kofford blog it looks great. I hope I win the prize

Melanieshea said...

Beautiful song.

DawnB said...

John Newton was also a slave trader, but when he became a Christian he did all he could to stop this. Another example of God's Amazing Grace for all us sinners to forgive our past and then a man devoted to living for God. He wrote this a few weeks before he died: "My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great savior".

Jenny said...

I too love this song!! Thanks for telling us the history behind it!!

mamabear said...

Oh, Shannon, thank you so much for the history of this song. It is my favorite hymn of all time.
I have been enjoying your blog for a few months now, and get decorating inspiration from you.

~dawn

好文 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色,性愛