Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Song

Jesus Paid It All
Elvina M. Hall


I hear the Savior say, "Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness watch and pray, Find in Me thine all in all."


Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.


Lord, now indeed I find, Thy power and Thine alone;
Can change the leper's spots And melt the heart of stone.


Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.


For nothing good have I, Where by Thy grace to claim;
I'll wash my garments white, In the blood of Calvary's Lamb.


Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.


And when before the throne, I stand in Him complete;
"Jesus died my soul to save," My lips shall still repeat.


Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.

This beloved hymn was written by Elvina Hall while her mind was wandering during her pastor's lengthy prayer. She scribbled similar words on the front flap of her hymnal. She gave her poem to the church organist, John T. Grape, and he composed the music for "Jesus Paid It All". Although the versions have changed throughout the years, the message is the same.


*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

19 comments:

So blessed! said...

AMEN! Thanks for the Sunday inspiration! I love your blog layout. Did you design it yourself? I am new to the blogging world and would love to know how to change my background.

Darlene said...

That is just beautiful!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I just love that song!

Miss Almost Newlywed said...

I think this is a beautiful song. Hi Shannon, it's Cari. Check out my new blog and thanks for being a great blogging pal! I hope you're having a nice weekend!

Betsy said...

We have been so abundantly blessed in our home and this song just reminds me how much He paid for us. Thanks.

Prissy Southern Prep said...

great song! Thanks for always posting these =) they are a blessing.

Ron said...

That's my Ces' fav. song. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy said...

I love reading your Sunday Songs1
Thanks for sharing them.

Kathy :)

Betsy said...

I did a tutorial on the cookies...look back a few days. :)

Blissful Nikki said...

wow, this is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing! Have a blessed beginning to your week! :)

Amber said...

Beautiful!

Hey girl, just wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog. :)

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

I love this. I have tears. The gift of forgiveness is overwhelming to me.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I wish people would really grasp the deep beautiful words of this hymn!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Love that song, thanks for sharing.

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

This is my first time to visit you and you ministered to me with your Sunday song, isn't this what blogging should be about anyway, spreading the gospel of Jesus.

Cherry Tree Lane said...

What an amazing song. I could sit and read it over and over. It brings tears to my eyes. So glad I found your blog....

Empty Nest Full Life said...

We do owe Him everything! How blessed we are. Jackie

southerninspiration said...

We sang this last night at church....beautiful!!!

Suzanne

Love your valentine decor!!

The Golf Widow said...

Just beautiful. I love, Then sings my soul. Your Sunday song idea is brilliant.I look forward to more.

I'm off to get the Valentine stuff out. My girls like the "pink" holiday.