Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Song

Blessed Assurance
Fanny J. Crosby

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood!

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight!
Visions of rapture now burst at my sight!
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, all is at rest.
I in my Savior am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

One of Fanny's dearest friend, Phoebe Knapp, was very wealthy and lived very differently than Fanny did. Fanny lived in the slums of New York while Phoebe lived in a mansion, yet they were very good friends. Fanny was a regular visitor and while she was there in 1873, Phoebe played a composition of her own on the piano. As soon as the blind hymnist heard it she said, "Why, that says, "Blessed Assurance!'" Soon after that she composed the words to this great hymn. As with most of her hymns, "Blessed Assurance" was made famous by the evangelist D. L. Moody.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan

15 comments:

Vashti said...

I love this song.when ever I hear it sung I feel it needs to be sung with great umph! Does that make sense??
Any way...have a great sunday.
x

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Love it! This song is so beautiful!

t h a i t r a i t said...

The words are indeed comforting. I love Third Day's rendition of it. Thanks for always leaving us with such inspiring words!

Brittany said...

I love this hymn, and now I am going to be singing it the rest of the day!

I love that you post these every Sunday and you have given me the idea to purchase the book for my Grandmother for her birthday! She would love to read it. The only problem, I can only find it in paperback and would love to have it in hardback.

Thanks for passing on the e-mail to your SIL! She offered some great help!

Kim said...

This is one of those hymns that just invites the spirit! :) K

Sunny said...

Love hymns - especially this one.

Marci @ All Things Wonderful said...

Very Pretty Song! Love the sweet story. Perhaps, we could all befriend someone...different than ourselves.

TCKK said...

Blessed Assurance is such an awesome song. Thanks for sharing it with us.

lindanuts said...

Love this song and it will be playing over and over for me today--bless you--I love it!

Katie said...

Oh, this has become one of my very favorite hymns in the last year or so. I sing it all the time now. Such a special song!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Love love this song! I love your Sunday Songs!

Emily said...

What a comforting song! We sang this song in our Worship time today. Beautiful!

xoxo, Emily

linda said...

What a great old time hymn. I used to love it when we sang it in church when I was a teen. Thank you for the reminder.

devri said...

OH what a great one.

Abigail Hutchinson said...

We totally sang this song yesterday at church! Love it!