Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Song

There Is Power in the Blood
Lewis E. Jones

Would you be free From your burden of sin?
There's pow'r in the blood, Pow'r in the blood;
Would you o'er evil a victory win?
There's wonderful pow'r in the blood.

There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r,
In the precious blood of the Lamb.

Would you be free, From your passion and pride?
There's pow'r in the blood, Pow'r in the blood;
Come for a cleansing To Calvary's tide;
There's wonderful pow'r in the blood.

There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r,
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r,
In the precious blood of the Lamb.

Would you be whiter, Much whiter than snow?
There's pow'r in the blood, Pow'r in the blood;
Sin stains are lost In its life giving flow;
There's wonderful pow'r in the blood.

There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r,
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r,
In the precious blood of the Lamb.

Would you do service For Jesus your King:
There's pow'r in the blood, Pow'r in the blood;
Would you live daily, His praises to sing?
There's wonderful pow'r in the blood.

There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r,
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is pow'r, pow'r, Wonder working pow'r,
In the precious blood of the Lamb.

Lewis E. Jones graduated from Moody Bible Institute. He spent his time with the YMCA and on the side wrote hymns. This hymn was written at a camp meeting in Maryland in 1899. He also composed the tune. This is his most popular hymn.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan

19 comments:

Joanna said...

I sang along, while reading your song...This was one of my favorite hymns growing up while in church...I loved requesting this one on Wednesday nights!

I tagged you for a picture tag...Here are the rules...http://thissoutherngirlsnest.blogspot.com/2009/01/picture-tag.html

linda said...

Another favorite hymn from my growing up years! I used to love to sing this song in church...it was just lively and fun to sing.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Greatest power there is! :) I love these Sunday post.

The Graves' House said...

enjoyed your post today. i look forward to reading it each week and remembering why i love the songs of our lord.
~nicole

Lana said...

I love these posts. I think the hymn background/history is so interesting. Thanks!

julie & joe said...

I've been praying for Harper since Friday too. It breaks my heart that her parents can't hold her yet.

LuLu & Co. said...

Happy Sunday and I love the song!
LuLu

Kathy said...

Love the song. Found myself humming along!!

Kathy :)

Sandy Toes said...

Wonderful Sunday Song! Thanks for sharing! Moody Bible..I love that school..I graduated from Cedarville and we use to go to Moody for certain events!
-sandy toe

Angie said...

I have always loved this one!

Brenda said...

Hi Shannon,
If you missed Wuthering Heights on PBS, you can watch the full episode online here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/wutheringheights/watch.html

the undomesticated wife said...

I can still hear my dad singing this next to me in church when I was a kid! :)

Richella said...

Yes! It has become rather politically incorrect to talk about things like "blood" in church--but there IS power in the blood! "Come for a cleansing to Calvary's tide"--is there any better way to sum up the sacrifice of Jesus? All so that we might be cleansed?! Praise God. And thank you for this sweet reminder.

Heather said...

OH man, I can remember singing this in my home church years ago, sweet memories and great song!

Trans Globe Lighting said...

That is such a great hymn.

Susie from Bienvenue said...

Hi Miss Shannon! I was just thinking of you and Miss Katie this morning. Hope all is well with the family. Take care~

hi-d said...

Amen!

Rebecca said...

Moody Bible Institute...That name came up in a recent post of MINE, too - re. Great is Thy Faithfulness! I still love this rousing song - there IS power in the blood!

Maime said...

I have had a silver tray that had some booboos for a long time and didn't know what to do with it. Your idea has inspired me. Come over to hospitaliteacottage.blogspot.com and watch for a post as to how mine turns out.