Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Song

All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name
Edward Perronet

All hail the power of Jesus' name! Let angels prostrate fall;
Bring forth the royal diadem, And crown Him Lord of all;
Bring forth the royal diadem, And crown Him Lord of all.

Ye chosen seed of Israel's race, Ye ransomed from the fall,
Hail Him who saves you by His grace, And crown Him Lord of all;
Hail Him who saves you by His grace, And crown Him Lord of all.

Let every kindred, every tribe, On this terrestrial ball,
To Him all majesty ascribe, And crown Him Lord of all;
To Him all majesty ascribe, And crown Him Lord of all.

O that with yonder sacred throng, We at His feet may fall!
We'll join the everlasting song, And crown Him Lord of all;
We'll join the everlasting song, And crown Him Lord of all.

Rev. Edward Perronet followed in his father's footsteps and became a vicar in the Anglican Church in England. He was closely associated with John Wesley for awhile but soon started his own small independent church in Canterbury. He died in 1792. His hymn has a special place in missionary history besides being a popular traditional hymn. Rev. E. P. Scott ignored his family and friends and went deep into India trying to reach a savage tribe. He found himself surrounded by warriors with spears pointed directly at him. With nothing else to do, he pulled out his violin and started singing, "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name!" When he came to the verse, "Let every kindred, every tribe," he opened his eyes to see every spear lowered and tears in the warrior's eyes. He spent the next two years ministering to the savage tribe.

*Hymn history taken from "Then Sings My Soul" by Robert J. Morgan.

17 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Such a great song!

duchess said...

What a great story.

Emily said...

This song sounds familiar, but not one our church sang regular. It's very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

LuLu & Co. said...

Happy Sunday! Lovely song.
LuLu

Jules from "The Roost" said...

This is the song I imagine the heavenly host singing continually! The Power of Jesus name!!!

Marci said...

What a great story!

TCKK said...

I know the song well, but had never heard the story. Thanks so much for sharing!

Brittany said...

Do you know the name of the line that the b'day cake on my page is from? They took the tag off at the store and someone is wanting to know. I have a few other things from that line as well, but no tags. I can just see the tag in my head, but cannot remember the name.

Thanks!

Cari said...

This is a very pretty song! I really like it. :)

Southern Fried Gal said...

What a great story!

jenjen said...

Wow - that is a really touching story and powerful lyrics. Thanks for sharing!

Brittany said...

No, not RAZ, I have a lot of RAZ stuff though. I cannot remember and it is driving me crazy!

Katie said...

BEAUTIFUL song! We sang this a couple months ago one Sunday morning, and all I could do was cry. I love the tune, but the words always hit me in a powerful way! I really do NOT have a beautiful singing voice, but I hope when the Lord hears me singing it, it sounds sweet to Him....because I certainly belt it out... ;o)

Jennifer said...

I've never heard Scott's story...great story - which always make singing these favorite hymns even more special!

Gail said...

This is the first song we sang in worship this morning! I love it :)

Bless you~

Richella said...

I don't think I've left you a comment before, but I've read your blog many times. I must say I think we are kindred spirits when it comes to hymns. There is very little I'd rather do than sing hymns. I love the way you post the story behind the hymns AND all the verses. The poetry is so wonderful, and so many people now don't know these treasures. So bless you for sharing the wealth!

its so very cheri said...

I love the old hymns. I bought a book for home schooling with the kids that tells the back grounds of some old hymns. I think they need to hear those songs too-not many churches use them any more.