Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday Song

It Came upon the Midnight Clear
Edmund H. Sears

It came upon the midnight clear, That glorious song of old;
From angels bending near the earth To touch their harps of gold.
"Peace on the earth good will to men, From heaven's all gracious King!"
The world in solemn stillness lay To hear the angels sing.

Still thro' the cloven skies they come, With peaceful wings unfurled;
And still their heavenly music floats, O'er all the weary world.
Above its sad and lowly plains, They bend on hovering wing;
And ever o'er its Babel sounds The blessed angels sing.

For lo, the days are hastening on, By prophet bards foretold;
When with the ever circling years, Comes round the age of gold.
When peace shall over all the earth, Its ancient splendors fling;
And the whole world give back the song Which now the angels sing.

Edmund Hamilton Sears was born in 1819 and after graduating from Harvard Divinity School he settled down in small town Massachusetts. He wrote two Christmas carols, fifteen years apart, and they both have the exact same tune. His second one is the more famous, "It Came upon the Midnight Clear". This is an interesting carol because the sole focus is peace on earth. There is no mention of Christ or the newborn Babe but the message is heard.

*Hymn history is from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan

12 comments:

Vashti said...

LOVE it! Nothing like a good old song about peace on earth! Just reading the words makes me feel peaceful!
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
xx

Marci said...

What a great song. I always enjoy it during the Christmas season.

LuLu & Co said...

I just love it! Brought me peace at the end of this busy day.
hope you are having a peaceful kind of a day,
LuLu

Chris said...

I don't know how you find them, but I love the explanations given for each of these. So interesting!

Laurel MacD said...

I LOVE Christmas songs. We have a tradition to sing one every night, down by the piano before bed. I left you an award on my blog.

jessmcw said...

I learn something new each time I read the history behind these songs!
Thanks for posting them.

Alex and Jill said...

Okay, this is a random question but it has been driving me crazy....your S-I-L, Katie looks familiar. Did she go to high school at AB in Little Rock? I keep trying to place her somewhere because I know I've seen her face somewhere other than your blog. LOL

LDH said...

Just meandering through some blog pages brought me to you ~ very sweet place. I love your "Sunday Song" posts. Great idea!

The Pink Potpourri said...

great song! thanks for sharing about it. hope you had a wonderful christmas!

Erin said...

Beautiful! I love that song!

Susie Harris said...

You make me want to sing~ Thank goodness you cant hear me, hehe!

jean Stockdale said...

Great post.

I love your blog. It is lovely and well written. I am linking you to my site. Stop by for a visit when you have a sec. I am an emptynester mom with 2 grown sons. I am a Bible teacher and author of Bible studies for moms. Bless you.