Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Song

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Charles Wesley

Hark! the herald angels sing, "Glory to the newborn King;
Peace on earth and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled."
Joyful, all ye nations rise, Join the triumph of the skies;
With angelic hosts proclaim, "Christ is born in Bethlehem."

Christ, by highest heav'n adored, Christ, the everlasting Lord;
Late in time behold Him come, Offspring of a virgin's womb.
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see, Hail, th'incarnate Deity!
Pleased as man with men to dwell, Jesus our Emmanuel.

Hail the heav'n born Prince of Peace! Hail the Sun of Righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings, Ris'n with healing in His wings.
Mild He lays His glory by, Born that man no more may die;
Born to raise the sons of earth, Born to give them second birth.

After receiving Christ, Charles Wesley immediately started writing hymns. During his life he wrote over 6,000 hymns! He was very particular about his hymns too and did not like people changing a few words or publishing them without mentioning the original words. When he was 32, in 1739, he wrote this hymn:

Hark, how all the welkin rings, "Glory to the King of kings;
Peace on earth, and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled!"
Joyful, all ye nations, rise, Join the triumph of the skies;
Universal nature say, "Christ the Lord is born today!"

We can thank his good friend and evangelist, George Whitefield, for changing the words a little so we now how, "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing".

*Hymn history was taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan

19 comments:

Vashti said...

LOVE Christmas Carols!!! When ever I sing this one it makes me cry, its the last verse....gets me every time! It's so powerful.
Have a Wonderful Sunday!
xx

Angie said...

This is one of my favorite Christmas songs, I love when we sing it at church!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I love, love, love this song!!

Darlene said...

I love this song it is so beautiful!

Lora said...

You've been given a blog award:)

http://myblessedlife-lora.blogspot.com/2008/12/many-thanks.html

Melissa Wertz said...

I love this song. It is one of my favorite Christmas songs. I think this is in DD's repertoire (Piano, if not, I will sneak it into her lesson plan) this month and her goal is to play so people can sing along. It is becoming great fun. One thing I want to do as a family is a Christmas Eve Sing-A-Long. We her playing the piano.

Thanks for posting the history about the song.

Melissa Wertz said...

When you get a chance, email me thru my profile with your mailing address. I have something(s) for you. :D

the undomesticated wife said...

Love this!

Jennifer said...

I had never heard the history of this carol...really interesting. I am glad we have the "revised edition" :) Happy Sunday

Jamie @ Purposeful Pursuit said...

Love this! It's so neat to know the history behind the song.

devri said...

This one is my favorite christmas songs... thanks

lindanuts said...

Bless your heart and thank you for publishing the Sunday Songs.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

What would we have done without the great Charles Wesley and his incredible insight and sensitivity to the Spirit?

The Pink Potpourri said...

i love that christmas carol. that was an interesting post about that song. thanks for sharing! merry christmas!

Emily said...

Thats one of my favorite Christmas songs!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

What is a welkin? I will have to find out. But I love that carol too. Can't wait to sing it on Christmas Eve!
Carrie

Brittany said...

Hey thanks! I added some big blue ribbon to Rhett's tree, but I am still not happy with it. I need to work on it!

P.S. Tell your husband that I am proud to be your friend, "internet" or otherwise. I see lots of blogs, some of even people I know that have you listed under their "Wish we were friends" category. I think to myself, "ha! I was her friend long before blogland and her celebrity blog status!" hahahaha!

Sandy Toes said...

Beautiful song! Thanks for sharing..I love that song!
-sandy toes

emily said...

I can't see the name 'George Whitefield' without remembering a term paper I did on him in college. Wow. That was a long time ago.

Your home is so stunningly beautiful! I was just scrolling down and saw all your photos. Lovely! The bird in the jar is my favorite :)