Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday Song

His Name Is Wonderful
Audrey Mieir

His name is Wonderful, His name is Wonderful,
His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord;

He is the Mighty King, Master of ev'rything;
His name is Wonderful, Jesus, my Lord.

He's the Great Shepherd, The Rock of all ages,
Almighty God is He.

Bow down before Him, Love and adore Him,
His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord.

On Christmas day in 1959, Audrey Mae Mieir was inspired to write this hymn after hearing her pastor open his Bible and read, "His name shall be called Wonderful" at the beginning of the service. She wrote the first part in her Bible that morning during church and finished after reading the names of Christ. This song has never been associated with Christmas even though it was inspired by a very traditional Christmas text. However, it is still a favorite today.

*Hymn history taken from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan

10 comments:

devri said...

I love how you do this.. it is great to read about these people and really look at the words of the songs.. thanks

Miss(es) Canadian Pie said...

How beautiful. And so true. Reminds me of what this season truly is all about. Thank you, Shannon.

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful song! You are amazing!

lindanuts said...

I love how you post these lyrics. They are words of encouragement to me and others.:)

Grammy and Olivia said...

Another one of my favorite songs as I was growing up. I was not aware of the Christmas connection, so nice to hear the story.

kari and kijsa said...

Beautiful!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Holly said...

Wow, you really find some oldies and goodies. Do you actually sing these at your church? I belong to a fairly conservative denomination, but even we have virtually stopped singing a lot of the good old hymns. We recently moved and are attending a new congregation which does a better mix of old and new, but I do really love the old hymns and I'm sad that they won't be as ingrained in my children as they are in me!

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

I just love hearing the background of favorite songs. :)

Glitter and Bliss said...

I remember signing this beautiful song in church many years ago. It brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for sharing the connection this song has to the season.

Momofgirls said...

Another great pick, another great memory!

Have a blessed week!