Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Tag


Stacey from The Blessed Nest (cute blog!) tagged me for a fun Christmas tag. I'm making some chocolate chip cookies but thought I could sneak a post in.


1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

I'm not much for hot drinks but am addicted to Starbucks Carmel Hot Chocolate this year.


2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Now they are all wrapped but when we were little there was one unwrapped.


3. Colored lights on house/tree or white lights?

Always white!


4. Do you hang mistletoe?

Or course! And we use it daily!


5. When do you put your decorations up?

Always the weekend before Thanksgiving. Very stress free!


6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

Corn casserole


7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?

We (me and my two brothers) would always wake up my parents but then we would have to wait for what seemed like forever for them to get ready and get the video camera set up on the tripod. Then we could walk into the living room and see what Santa left. After we finished at our house we drove to my grandparents where we had to wait outside for forever again while they got the camera set up. We would always try to look in the window to get a glimpse of something. One year I peeked in the window and saw a scooter!


8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I don't remember but my first grade teacher did tell everyone at school one day that Santa was not real. A few kids cried.


9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Yes, one.


10. How do you decorate your tree?

In lime greens, reds and golds.


11. Snow! Love it or dread it?

Love it!


12. Can you ice skate?

I say that I can but most people would call it "walking" in ice skates.


13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I do not recall a favorite gift but I distinctly remember the three years that I got a cool art set, a leather jacket and a scooter.


14. What is the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Being with family and remembering the true Reason for the season.


15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Anything chocolate with no nuts


16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

Every year my mom wraps Baby Jesus from the nativity set and it is always the last gift under the tree. On the tag it says, "To the (our last name) Kids. Love, God". We take turns opening it each year.


17. What tops your Christmas tree?

Feathers and something that Cody calls an alien. (More on that later!)


18. Which do you prefer-giving or receiving?

Both are really fun!


19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

O Holy Night


20. Candy Canes-yum or yuck?

Yuck


21. What do you want for Christmas?

A new camera


22. Do you attend an annual Christmas party?

Yes, with our Sunday School class


23. Do you dress up on Christmas or wear PJs?

We are dressed casual


24. Do you own a Santa hat?

No and No, thank you.


25. Who do you normally spend Christmas with?

Divided between our families.


I tag:


28 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, I don't know that I've ever been the first to post for you! I'm going to have to make a trip to Starbucks...that sounds good!

Can't wait to see the "alien"

AndreaLeigh said...

Funny about the mistletoe! I got ours out last night and held it above my head and my husband just looked at me like I was crazy. He goes this every year... like he can't remember what mistletoe is or something?? LOL.

ka1t_lyn said...

Such a cute tag, I love the comment about the mistletoe. I might steal thiis a bit closer to Christmas :)

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Love this post! Now, that Alien has me curious.

Susan said...

Great Tag! Love the mistletoe too! Great plug for Starbucks too even though they do not need it...come on ladies, we know we all love that place:)LOL

Jennifer said...

Great tag...different than the ones that I have received or seen on other blogs.

I love the idea about wrapping baby Jesus...precious idea!

Darlene said...

That was fun to learn more about you and your Christmas traditions.

Sunny said...

Keeping us in suspense about the alien! would love to see your tree!

Holly said...

I can't believe your first grade teacher spilled the beans! We 'play' Santa and have Santa gifts, but my kids know he's not real, just a fun character. However, they are strictly instructed not to tell!

lindanuts said...

WOW! I'm here before the crowd! I love yourresponse to the tag. It's always good to learn a little more about fellow bloggers. We keep our mistletoe up all year long. I can't resist catching my dh there....

Vanilla Lavender said...

Great tag! I love reading more about Xmas traditions in this country. I'm with you always white lights! xo :) Vanessa

Ally0005 said...

Can't believe a teacher told her class. Not her place.
My older daughter is in 3rd grade and still believes. Some days she will ask questions but I want her to believe as long as possible.

duchess said...

So fun to learn more about you.
We make our kids wait for the cameras to get set up too.
Gotta get the first reactions.
Enjoy those cookies.

Val, Mike and Brax said...

i love your tradition of wrapping baby Jesus and the corresponding note!!

At Home In Georgia said...

I am a sucker for the carmel stuff too!

1st grade!!! That is terrible. I would insist on that teacher being fired. My kids are 1st and 3rd and totally believe! I am going to be so sad when they know the truth...but Santa will still come!

mmmm...homemade chocolate chip yum.

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe that a teacher would do that! Wow! That seems so cruel. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of "Santa," but it's all in what you make it. To us, it's just a fun, innocent part of childhood. That stinks!

I'm intrigued about the "alien." haha!

And I just LOVE that your momma does that with baby Jesus!!! I love it! I may just have to start doing that because I think that sounds like such a special tradition...a tangible reminder for kids (and us), especially in the midst of the material present frenzy! :o)

Leigh said...

Your first grade teacher? Was the name GRINCH? Hello? How cruel to first graders. That person probably dies of a cold heart and spirit. Sad.

I have "glitter sticks" at the top of my tree. It looks alieny.

I love that your mom wraps Baby Jesus. What a wonderful tradition. I LOVE that!

Someone tagged me for this. I will run my answers next week. Fun! I love memes.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Fun read Shannon. Keep using that mistletoe ;)

Cali Girl said...

so fun to read. love the tradition of opening baby Jesus!

Marie said...

Fun tag!! I scrolled through all your "old" posts and loved all your Christmas decor. I haven't even started decorating yet!! I'm so behind.

Missed you! :o)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What fun to read your answers!! Can't believe about your teacher, my kids "know" about Santa but have never "spilled the beans" to anyone!! And love the idea to wrap baby Jesus--I may have to do that! Have a great weekend :)

Jennifer said...

I feel like I learned so much about you! Ok, Shannon, we are going to have to have a talk about all the things you don't like to eat. The list just keeps growing...now we added candy canes!Haha!:)

Thanks for the tag!

Mc Allen said...

oh yes, this is a good one, I did a while back! I need to do the mistletoe , never have!! great post!! ;) LA

Lindsey said...

I think I know what you mean about the "alien." Jon calls our angel "The Mars Princess" It has fiber optics so it changes colors..it really freaks Jon out...haha.

Karyn said...

What a fun post.
I told my children that Jesus only got three presents, so that is all they get and it seems to work for or family. I am definitely going to incorporate the Jesus as a gift tradition. How blessed you are to have such a smart Mommy!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Love this tag! So fun to read your Christmas favs!

Cari said...

That Starbucks drink does sound good! I am getting some mistletoe next week and I can't wait :)

Oh, I did get everything done today that I wanted to! Yay!

Have a great weekend!

Nicole said...

Fun to learn more about you, your Christmas decorations look gorgeous.