Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Song

At Calvary
William R. Newell

Years I spent in vanity and pride,
Caring not my Lord was crucified,
Knowing not it was for me He died
On Calvary.

Mercy there was great and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
At Calvary.

By God's Word at last my sin I learned;
Then I trembled at the law I'd spurned,
Till my guilty soul imploring turned
To Calvary.

Mercy there was great and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
At Calvary.

Now I've giv'n to Jesus ev'rything;
Now I gladly own Him as my King;
Now my raptured soul can only sing
Of Calvary.

Mercy there was great and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
At Calvary.

O the love that drew salvation's plan!
O the grace that brought it down to man!
O the mighty gulf that God did span
At Calvary!

Mercy there was great and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
At Calvary.

William (Bill) Newell wrote this hymn as his testimony. His father had begged the president of Moody Bible Institute to let his prodigal son attend Moody. After several letters, the president, Dr. R. A. Torrey relented and let Bill come only if he obeyed the rules and met with him on a daily basis. After talking with Torrey for several years Bill later became a professor at Moody Bible Institute. Wanting to write his testimony in verse form, these words came to him on his way to class one day. Bill went on to become a well-known Bible teacher and he is the author of a series of Bible commentaries.

*Hymn history is from Then Sings My Sould by Robert J. Morgan.

17 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

So neat!!

Sunny said...

Love this hymn. Thanks always for the history behind such beautiful words.

the undomesticated wife said...

Another one that reminds me of my childhood church.

Southern Fried Gal said...

This hymn is near and dear to my heart because it is the first one I learned to play on the piano when I was a kiddo!

Kim said...

I love your Sunday tradition of posting a hymn...some long forgotten! I look forward to it!

Grammy and Olivia said...

I have always loved this hymn, but did not know the history and it is good.

TCKK said...

Isn't that a great hymn. In fact, this was the first hymn I learned to play on the piano.

Jennifer said...

One of my favorites!! I will probably be humming it for the rest of the day :)

Momofgirls said...

I LOVE this hymn...Brings me back to my childhood church...before praise and worship music took over!

Thanks for the blessing!

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

I love the words to this hymn! I am not sure if I have heard it before. I also love how you tell the background to each hymn; it makes them even more meaningful! :)

asnipofgoodness said...

I love this song, and now after reading it, it is in my heart. Thanks for the encouragement. Wish the vanity and pride had really been eliminated, but glad it is forgiven!!!

Heather said...

I love checking each Sunday to see which hymn you post and I love this one!!

Megan said...

I look forward to reading your blog~especially on Sundays. Hymns are best!

Angie said...

This is one of my favorite hymns! I hate that I haven't heard it in a long time. My church has wonderful music, but we don't sing hymns very often and I wish we did!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the idea, I will have to try it out. Hope your vacation is/was great!

Joy @FrugalMenuMamas said...

I love this hymn too! We used to go to church with the son of the author when I was a kid. It was such a neat connection to know him, but I did not know all this history! Thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

What a fun trip! I love you all in your yellow - what special photos you will cherish.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com