Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Song

Safe in the Arms of Jesus
Fanny J. Crosby

Safe in arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast,
There by His love o'ershadowed, sweetly my soul shall rest.
Hark! 'tis the voice of angels, borne in a song to me.
Over the fields of glory, over the jasper sea.

Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe from corroding care,
Safe from the world's temptations, sin cannot harm me there.
Free from the blight of sorrow, free from my doubts and fears;
Only a few more trials, only a few more tears!

Jesus, my heart's dear Refuge, Jesus has died for me;
Firm on the Rock of Ages, ever my trust shall be.
Here let me wait with patience, wait till the night is o'er;
Wait till I see the morning break on the golden shore.

Fanny Crosby was born blind and on March 5, 1858 she wed Alexander Van Alsteine. A year later she gave birth to a child. No one knows if it was a boy or girl and the only thing she was ever heard saying about it was, "God gave us a tender babe, soon the angels came down and took our infant up to God and His throne." No one could get her to talk about this tragedy. She claimed that "Safe in the Arms of Jesus" was written especially for mothers who had lost children.
*History of hymn was taken from "Then Sings my Soul" by Robert J. Morgan.

16 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Such a great song!

Mandi said...

Oh, what sad circumstances that inspired this wonderful song!

Whenever life seems to have me discouraged, I like to envision myself safe in the arms of my Jesus. (:

Glitter and Bliss said...

What a beautiful song, but what a sad story. Have a blessed Sunday.
Leslie

My Place of Peace said...

Thanks for sharing the history of that song. Hope you are encouraged today! Blessings!

A Hint of Home said...

She was quite the poet and so many of them were put to music.
I have an award for you--come visit.

Jodi said...

Thanks for posting this song. I'm not sure I have ever heard it before. We lost a baby boy last June, so this is especially meaningful.

I've been meaning to ask you if you have been to Pike's Peak as you had a post about the song "America the Beautiful." I have a picture of the plaque at the top of PP that I wanted to send you if you have never seen it. Email me at jodilyns10 at gmail dot com or post on my blog if you're interested in seeing it!

Katie said...

Such a beautiful hymn!

Lisa Ann said...

That's beautiful. You have an award waiting for you at my blog.

Blissful Nikki said...

I LOVE this song! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

devri said...

What a sad story, but what a great song.. thanks

Lana said...

Beautiful.

Carol said...

She was an amazing woman! Her songs are priceless. . .

Blessings,
Caorl

Susie Harris said...

Wonderful song~

My Beautiful Mess! said...

What a wonderful song and story. I look forward to reading your Sunday Song post every week.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

What a great gift she gave us through her pain.....I love that hymn.

aswewalk said...

The kids and I love reading Joni Eareckson Tada's books about the Hymns and hymnwriters. We read all about Fannie Crosby.