Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Song

Great Is Thy Faithfulness
Thomas O. Chisholm


Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow Of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not;
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.


Summer and winter And springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars In their courses above;
Join with all nature In manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, Mercy and love.


Pardon for sin And a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence To cheer and to guide;
Strength for today And a bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, With ten thousand beside!


Thomas O. Chisholm was born in Kentucky, became a Christian at age 27 and wrote this song in 1923. He wrote over one thousand poems and hymns. He admits that there was no big story behind this hymn. He just saw God's blessings every day in his life. This song wasn't very popular at first but was made popular later during Billy Graham Crusades.

19 comments:

Sherri's Southern Style said...

This has been one of my favorites for a long time. It is a great reminder that we ARE BLESSED!
Thank you Shannon for putting a song in my head to hum this morning!

the undomesticated wife said...

Wonderful song!

Emily said...

Thats another favorite song I grew up to in church.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

One of, if not my very, favorite hymns of all time! Sung during praise times, or sung as clinging to the hope of God's promises...it's a very powerful song!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

That hymn is truly one of my favorites.

Betsy said...

I love this hymn.

Sandy Toes said...

Very pretty..I was in church today and we sang a new song and I thought..I need to post it!! Well, it's not new ..written in 1868!
-Sandy toes

edie+steve said...

I love this hymn. I hate that most churhes have gotten away from the historic hymnody of the church.

Mandi said...

Love this hymn! I can't believe it wasn't popular until it was sung at the Billy Graham crusades.

DRI said...

AMEI O SEU BLOG...FAÇA UMA VISITA AO MEU,VOU ADORAR E ME ADICIONE SE POSSIVEL BJINHOS...

DRI said...

SUA CASA É LINDA!!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

I love this song too!

Glitter and Bliss said...

I absolutely love that hymn. One of the absolute best!! You do need the "Bless our Nest" frame. It is super cute!! Email me if you want cost details...address is now on my blog. I want to also "throw in" a bless our nest magnet for you. You are so sweet~~ Leslie

Sue said...

This is one of my favorite hymns. God is faithful!

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Love this song - always makes me cry.

georgie said...

Beautiful!

stoppin in from SSS sentral to say Hi!

crystal said...

looks great! for the rest of those plates I'm thinking a christmas decoration - maybe stacked in a plate stand thing (those dessert-looking ones) with a bundle of pinecones or pretty ball ornaments? Or maybe hung in a grouping on one of your walls with red silhouettes of a dove or series of doves or christmas-themed silhouettes pasted/taped to the plate centers?

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

No way! I have had this hymn going through my head all this past weekend! I love the words of this hymn. God is always faithful!

Have you ever heard of Sara Groves? I love the way she used this song within her own song, on one of her CDs. I listen to it all of the time!

Thank you so much for posting these hymns and for giving us the background behind them! :)

Lea of Farmhouse Blessings said...

Just love this hymn. Thank you for reminding me of it. I'll be singing it all day long.

Blessings,
Lea