Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Song

The Solid Rock
Edward Mote


My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then in Him be found!
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.

In 1797 Edward Mote was born into poverty. Never allowed to have a Bible, he somehow managed to hear the gospel and believe. He grew up to be a skilled carpenter and on his way to work one day, wrote this chorus in his head. Before the day was finished he had written all the verses. That was in 1834. In 1852, he gave up his business and became a preacher until he died in 1873.

16 comments:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Love all your post but the Sunday ones on the hymns are so touching!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Such a great song!!

the undomesticated wife said...

I love this song, because it reminds me of the church I grew up in back home.

Betsy said...

What a great way to remember to take Jesus with you throughout the week. I love this. `

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Great hymn!! Something I should remind myself of each and every morning.

l e a h said...

This song was marked in my hymnal as one of my favorites to play on the piano...I think I was about 13 when I marked it.

The verse about the storm gives me goosebumps.

Alyce said...

I love this hymn!

Emily said...

One of my all time favorites that I grew up with in my old church and now my new church.

Mandi said...

This is too funny! I heard this song on the way to church this morning and it just blessed me so much that I just posted about it on my blog. (:

I love how you give the histories behind your Sunday Songs.

bec4 said...

This is one of my very favorite hymns--thanks for sharing!

Wendy said...

Hi Shannon! I have an award for you over at my place!

Tanya said...

I love this song too. What a coincidence...another blog I read mentioned this song today...http://immeasurablymoreblog.blogspot.com/

mommy2gabby said...

I like it when you post these songs on Sunday. I started sing this one when I saw it.

It is a beautiful song. Thanks for sharing it!
Jody

JuJu and Family said...

I just started going to a bible study on thursdays and since going I've heard this song. It's a great song! Typically I've loved and felt moved by contemporary music, but I'm learning to appreciate the old hymnals too.
Thanks for sharing.

~Mommy+Me~ said...

Thanks for the picture of the original BOO pumpkins. I finally made mine, they're not nearly as cute, but they'll do. They are a cheap knock off version. ;) LOL
Stop by and check them out. I think I need to fix the rafia a little.

Tricia Anne said...

I LOVE this song! Thank you for sharing.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne