Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Song

There Is a Fountain
William Cowper
There is a fountain filled with blood Drawn from Immanuel's veins;
And sinners plunged beneath that flood, Lose all their guilty stains:
Lose all their guilty stains, Lose all their guilty stains;
And sinners, plunged beneath that flood, Lose all their guilty stains.
The dying thief rejoiced to see That fountain in his day;
And there may I, though vile as he, Wash all my sins away:
Wash all my sins away, Wash all my sins away;
And there may I, though vile as he, Wash all my sins away.
Dear dying Lamb, Thy precious blood Shall never lose its pow'r
Till all the ransomed Church of God Are saved, to sin no more:
Are saved, to sin no more, Are saved, to sin no more;
Till all the ransomed Church of God Are saved, to sin no more.
E'er since by faith I saw the stream Thy flowing wounds supply,
Redeeming love has been my theme, And shall be till I die:
And shall be till I die, And shall be till I die;
Redeeming love has been my theme, And shall be till I die.
William Cowper was very troubled and depressed and even tried to commit suicide. He wrote this hymn after finding the Lord by reading Romans 3:25.

20 comments:

Rae said...

I am always so touched by this hymn. My dad and I were singing it yesterday in an impromptu "jam" session. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Daphine said...

This is such a beautiful song! It's been a while since I've heard it though. So, thanks for sharing it.

Jennifer said...

Happy Lord's Day!!

Lora said...

This is a beautiful old hymn.

Cari said...

That is such a touching hymn and was comfort to me many years ago ducing a difficult time. Thank you for sharing it today!

Mandi said...

This is a great hymn that I haven't sung in a while...it brings back memories of when we used to sing it in the church I grew up in. (:

Christina said...

I am glad to see that someone else so young remembers the old beautiful hymns. They are so often overlooked these days. The history of a hymn (like the story you shared) is often very powerful too.

Thanks for sharing this today.

Brittany said...

Sorry about your Hogs! Thanks for Rhett's compliment! I love the "Peace" sign. That will be great for the holidays!

aswewalk.com said...

Mmm...Amen.

Leigh said...

Amen!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

LOVE that hymn! Thanks for the info on the author.

Sandy Toes said...

What a wonderful hymn...thanks for sharing!
-Sandy Toes

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Great hymn!

Betsy said...

Sunday! What a special day. Time to reflect on all the blessings flowing upon us. He is so good!

Robin said...

Shannon, thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog. I have been checking in on yours for awhile now, and I always find something inspirational here. What a great idea to share a song on Sunday...thank you for that!

Me said...

one of my favs :)

Michelle said...

I never knew the story behind the hymn...thanks for sharing it! I LOVE this song. My mother always had a very strong alto voice and I can remember her singing this out loud & strong with confidence :) (She went home to be with the Lord 16 years ago...breast cancer.)

Wishing you a wonderful week!

Blessings :)
Michelle

Sandy Toes said...

HI...you asked me on my blog where I find my ribbon???
I bought that ribbon at Michaels.
Have a great day!
-Sandy Toes

Kim said...

Wow...it's been a long time since I head that one!

Diane said...

I don't think I've heard that hymn, Shannon, but I like the lyrics. The story proves that God can use us through the good and the bad times in our lives. :)