Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Live and Learn

My beautiful, young hydrangeas died last night. They had so much potential! I feel sorry for them because if someone else would have bought them they probably would have lived. They looked so sad. Everyone told me to cover them with a sheet and I even got my shoes on to go outside to do that but I guess I got distracted. I woke up to a hard frost and heard the weather man say it was 22 degrees. Who would have thought 22 degrees is the middle of April?!?! I will not be discouraged though! I will give it a couple more weeks and try again. I will NEVER forget to cover my precious plants again. I was going to post a picture but they were just too sad looking. Let's remember them looking this way.

7 comments:

Diane said...

Are you sure they are gone, gone? Did the leaves wilt? Have you tried to cut them? YOu might be surprised and they might come back for you. We live in Florida and there have been many times where my Dad has believed his plants/bushes have died only to have them come back to life.

Hipmomofboyz said...

I am so sorry they died. I don't even try to plant and keep things alive, I think I have brown thumb.

Marie said...

Bum. Mer. Are you positive they are dead? Are they brown and sad already?? It got pretty cold here last night too- I had to send the kids to school in jackets. Weird since we were at the beach a few days ago.

Dawn said...

I peek in on your blog often, but have never commented. I am sorry about your plants...mine are just getting leaves here...maybe if you cut them back all the way to the ground they will start over. I am not sure, but here in Seattle I cut my down every year and they come back bigger and better...I know yourw were brand new, so I dont know if that will work, but worth a try if they are not already in the yard waste :)

Carrie said...

I am so sorry~we were out last night cover plants up and dragging them in the house. I am ready for the warm weather to stay!

Kristen said...

The same thing happened to me here in Nashville. I have cut mine back almost to the ground. The plant expert at one of my favorite nurseries told me new growth would happen. Hopefully all is not lost.

Hillary said...

Oh, that is so sad! I'm sorry for your loss!