Sunday, April 27, 2008

Creative Organization

There is something we can do about the everyday things we live with but do not like to look at everyday. You have to have laundry detergent, dental floss, pens, etc but they don't have to be an eye sore. I like using pretty things to hold practical, boring things.
I'm addicted to chapstick and have to have it in every room. Beside my bed I keep it in this cute little bird box. That way I know where it is, it doesn't roll off the table and I don't have to look at it all the time.
Dental floss. If I didn't see my dental floss everyday then I would never use it. I didn't want to have the floss just sitting out on my vanity so I put it in this small crystal vase.
In my office I needed something to keep my pens in but didn't want to go buy anything or use something that was specifically for storing pens. So I used a milk glass vase that I already had. It is functional and pretty at the same time.
I love powder laundry detergent but not the big boxes they come in. So I looked around my house and found this box in a closet. It holds one regular size box of detergent so I don't have to see the ugly boxes everyday.
I know a lot of people put bath salts in apothecary jars by their tubs but I didn't have anything to scoop the salts out with. So I found this perfect little spoon at Walmart in their "antique kitchen gadget" section. I think it is a sugar ladle but it works perfectly.

So look around your house and see what everyday things you can spruce up. It is fun to do and way more fun to look at things that are pretty.


19 comments:

Katie said...

You do such a great job at making any space or corner pretty!

destiny said...

I love doing that, too! It really makes things more fun! Thanks for all of the great tips!
LOVE those jars!

Candy said...

You are so fun! I love all your creative ideas. Thanks for sharing! :)

Marie said...

Great ideas! I love how you disguised the box of laundry detergent, especially. :o) Do you HAVE an ugly corner in your house?

Katie said...

I'm so with ya on this one, Shannon! I, too, put things in pretty containers. I keep my powder detergent in one of those big lidded jars with a handy scoop. I love your milk glass vase with the pens. I have some of these vases, and since I am in the process of redoing my desk, I may have to do that, too! I didn't think of using one of those!

AnnieH said...

I found your blog a few days ago via Nester. I am becoming as addicted to yours as I am hers! You have such great ideas and beautiful displays throughout your home. I love it! Please keep sharing all the good stuff!

Rue said...

Great ideas Shannon! I have the exact same crystal vase that you're using for your floss :)

rue

Hipmomofboyz said...

A girl after my heart....I too am addicted to burt's bee lip balm...Love it...Have one sitting right here next to my computer.....(had to stop and use some)
I love all of your cute ideas...

emily said...

Great ideas! And I can't believe you met Karen Kingsbury! So cool...aren't you getting a new blog design? Can't wait to see it!

Jo said...

I have been looking for a vase for holding pens and pencils on my crafting desk, and the one you have is exactly what I would like. Thanks for helping to clarify what I'm looking for! I love your pretty organisation ideas.

Joy said...

Isn't it great how using pretty things to contain the practical things of life can bring a smile every time you see and use them. Great ideas!

Pink Dreaming said...

I have just spent the past 30 minutes...probably more... checking out your entire blog. I am an organizing freak and loved your ideas. I wish I would have checked in the same day as Sissy's picture challenge. I loved looking at your pictures and would love to have seen everyone else's. Thanks for providing me an evening getaway on your blog! Can't wait to see what you post next!

Chris said...

I'm the same way! Don't necessarily love to clean, but man can I organize! Great ideas!

PAINT MINE PINK said...

Absolutely Shannon! Im with you here. I have all sorts of things in pretty jars and bowls etc....i keep my bath crystals in a sugar bowl that has the spoon hanging from the handle. Its so much easier and prettier too :)

What a fun post!

Hugs,
Shann

Trisha said...

I love your new blog design! it is so pretty and fun to read.

Kelly said...

Your blog looks so cute!!!!

Carrie said...

I love the new look!

Jenna said...

Your home and your blog are adorable!

Tipp said...

Hi!

I found you through Katie and have found you to be so very inspiring!

I wish you could do my house!

Rob Morgan used to be my pastor, don't you just love that book???

Nice to meet you!