Sunday, March 16, 2008

Window Treatment

**This is an older post that I am linking to The Nester's Mistreatment Party!!**

This weekend I decided to do something about my bathroom window. It is frosted glass so I don't need anything for privacy but the ceilings are so tall I wanted to warm it up somehow. I found this fabric at Hobby Lobby along with the trim. It was all under $20.00. On one of my favorite blogs, The Nesting Place, she talks about making simple window treatments by not sewing or even using a rod. Her trick is using upholstery tacks. So I bought some (100 for $2) at Hobby Lobby.

I cut my fabric in half and glued trim on the bottom. Some people use their hot glue guns but I used fabric glue because I didn't want to wait for the glue to heat up. And I was working on my living room carpet so that could get messy.
I folded over the top so it wouldn't be a raw edge. Then I pushed the upholstery tacks in starting at the two ends, then the middle, and so on.
I turned in the sides so it wouldn't be a raw edge and tacked the bottom to the wall from the inside. (Does that make sense?) I think it turned out pretty good and I know that if I can do it, you can do it for sure! I can sew a straight line but that is all. So any window treatment I can make that does not involve a sewing machine and costs less than $25.00 works for me! Thanks for the inspiration, Nester!

29 comments:

Katie said...

Cute!!

Rue said...

You did a seriously great job!
Rue :)

Hipmomofboyz said...

very cute....

Carrie said...

good job

Kelly said...

It looks great! I've been watching all of her no-sew window treatments and I'm almost inspired to try it myself! It sure looks good when you both do it!

The Nester said...

That is a beautiful window! and for sure a lovely treatment--I can't call that a mistreatment!

Marie said...

It looks great! I still can't bring myself to mistreat my windows. I'm not sure I have the appropriate fabric yet. lol

Harris Family said...

Beautiful, Shannon! You've inspired me!

Cristi

Kelly said...

Shannon - YEAY for "break" vacations!!!!! We are not 100% - but we are planning to go to Kauai,HI. We went 2 years ago and it is just our favorite place in the world. So hopefully not only will it be a good break spot but a great last honeymoon alone before kids! :-)

Blanca said...

Awesome! So glad you stopped by my blog it's always fun to meet new bloggers. Don't you just love Hobby Lobby and the Nester? As for my lamps I found those at Home Goods (TJMax). I will definitely be back to your site.

Blanca

bj said...

This looks absolutely fabulous! Thanks for the inspiration. I am on my way to find fabric for breakfast room windows and I intend to do the same thing with the tacks.
Come see me sometime....
hugs, bj

Kim said...

I love it!!! So cute!

Kari & Kijsa said...

Great job! And great find on the fabric!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Diane said...

Love the window! I'm getting the courage up to do a mistreatment myself. I just seem to be so awful at things like this...:) I"m inspired.

The Newbie said...

Beautiful job! It's very pretty.

Self Confessed Lamp Tramp said...

That is very pretty, love the brown dotted material!

Deb said...

I hadn't seen this one before. Looks really nice and I love the fabric. Great job.

Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam said...

I love your fabric. You did a fabulous job!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

See, I like your mistreatment valance. Why doesn't mine look that pretty?

~ Sarah

Bella's momma said...

It looks so good!!!!

Chris said...

It looks great, Shannon. Beautiful fabric!

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

looks good I am learning so much from people.

Nicole said...

They look great, I love the fabric you used. There isn't an ugly thing in your whole house, you are just way talented.

Bonita said...

That is so adorable!

jeanne winters said...

Beautiful!!

The Shoup Family said...

Love love love it!! Isn't brown the best color... and the fringe is a great accent. I noticed you kind of looped or rounded the fabric wider than other girls... I liek it better that way... it's not as busy looking... almost a natural look. Thanks for the peeks!!

Aja
SE Kansas

Jill said...

Great job! I love how it turned out!

new every morning said...

Nice!

I always enjoy your blog!

Renae said...

Thanks for sharing, I might have to try this out. Do these tacks pust through to the wall as well?