Monday, March 31, 2008

Favorite Flea Market Find

Lately I've been reading a lot of blogs about your favorite flea market find. So I thought I would share mine. This green cabinet is my favorite find by far and very special to me. Cody and I were married in 2004 and for our first Christmas together we got some money from our parents and decided to put it together and buy something for the house. After visiting my grandparents in Hot Springs we went to a flea market on our way out of town. I saw this right away and thought it would be perfect!
Our first house was built in the 40's and only had 2 closets that were as wide as the door. So we bought this and put baskets in it with most of our clothes. It worked perfectly. It is pretty large and very deep so I could put baskets in two deep. It held way more than both our closets combined.
I was told it was an antique dry goods storage cabinet but who knows. I don't really care because I love it. It was already painted this great green color and I love the old hardware.
When we moved in our new house it wouldn't turn down any hallway so my dad had to take off the top molding just to get it in this room. It was the only room it would fit in. My dad says that if we ever move the cabinet stays, but I don't think I could ever part with it.
Let me know if you post your favorite flea market find. I would love to know what it is!

Still working on those projects......

19 comments:

Cottage Dreaming said...

Shannon, I am so happy to see this beautiful piece again. I would have jumped up and down to find something that wonderful. It will be a piece that you will have your whole life but if you ever change your mind....LOL. Looking forward to your spring inspiration.
Heather

Marie said...

I love it! It's the absolute perfect piece! :o)

Hillary said...

OH...I love it!!!!! Seriously, I want it!!! What a great find!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness ..... I LOVE it!!!!!I love the color - was it that color when you got it or did you paint it?

Blanca said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!

Blanca

Cottage Dreaming said...

Good Morning Shannon. Aren't her tassels great. My 7yr old fell in love and wants a blue and white one for her room. I asked the Nester if she could do it, awaiting the reply.
Have a great day,
Heather

Diane said...

That is GORGEOUS! I just spent big bucks on one very similiar to that, only it's black. BIG bucks...I much rather have paid big bucks for a green authentic one! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!!! I would smile every time I saw it.

Diane said...

Shannon,
This is a picture of the cabinet ( they call it a libary), it's on order, I have to wait SIX more bloody weeks for it! But here is a link to a pic. http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL569/4881287/10076508/311360046.jpg

Diane said...

THe whole link didn't show.

Let's try it again.


http://tinyurl.com/ypz379

Marie said...

Shannon- Ross is like TJ Maxx. And Home Goods is a TJ Maxx but it only has- home goods! :o) It's to DIE for! Oh and I got my shower curtain from Overstock.com.

paperjunk-lc said...

I'm so envious! I'm going to Canton on Saturday with a girlfriend...can't wait.

Hipmomofboyz said...

very pretty and I love the color

Cottage Dreaming said...

Shannon, good luck treasure hunting. Bewarned, it is addictive. Let me know.
Heather

deepfriedapplepies said...

New to your blog.. found my way here from Watch the Wind Blow By.. Love, Love, LOVE the green cabinet.. never get rid of it, unless I move to Arkansas..LOL! Next week I'll post my favorite Flea Market Find.. My Hoosier.. AND, I got it in Arkansas last year!!

jennifer said...

It is wonderful! And that it was a first purchase for you and Hubby makes it even more special.

Jennifer

Katie said...

Oh my stars...I was right...this cabinet IS ridiculously gorgeous! Wow, I would've definitely flipped to find something like this at the flea market.

The Peace Family said...

I love this piece. I think that it is perfect in every way.
I have a love for old homes also. I think that the story behind it was great to. My husband and I first home was over 100 years old and we were challenged on closet space also. We now live in a house that is about 60 years old and love the charm but I sure would like a walk in closet!!

cyn the win said...

Who would leave that behind? I LOVE it! I am buying a buffet for my kitchen and having it painted EXACTLY like this. I'll post a pic on my blog when it's done.

cyberpunkjunk said...

Darling! I love the way you merchandised it. There is just really something special about finding a unique piece - somehow it becomes part of the family!